The Architecture of Exclusion: A History of Audubon Forest
Introduction: The Authorship of an Urban Landscape
The contours of a residential district are seldom formed by chance. They are deliberately authored by real estate visionaries, molded by municipal legislation, and ultimately redefined by the citizens who inhabit them. Located in the southwestern quadrant of Atlanta, the neighborhood of Audubon Forest offers a profound historical case study illustrating how spatial design, legal restriction, and demographic reclamation intersect to forge a modern American community. Defined by a network of streets bearing the names of birds, including Flamingo, Oriole, Falcon, Cardinal, Chickadee, and Jenny Wren, the subdivision projects an image of pastoral tranquility.1
However, a rigorous historical examination of Audubon Forest reveals a narrative far more complex than its sylvan nomenclature suggests. The ground upon which these sprawling brick estates rest has served as an ancient indigenous thoroughfare, a blood-soaked theater of war, a commercialized health resort, a heavily restricted bastion of white elite suburbanization, and a vanguard community for Atlanta’s African American upper-middle class. By analyzing property deeds, institutional investment records, archival newspaper clippings from the early twentieth century, and a trove of primary correspondence from the civil rights era, a comprehensive history emerges. It is the definitive story of a community that evolved from a landscape of engineered exclusion into a premier sanctuary of civic, cultural, and environmental leadership.
Chapter 1: The Sandtown Trail and the Pioneer Mills
The topographical history of Audubon Forest is inextricably linked to the ancient pathways and military maneuvers of the nineteenth century. Long before the streets were paved, the area was bisected by the Sandtown Trail. This vital indigenous route ran from Stone Mountain to the Creek village of Sandtown on the Chattahoochee River and extended onward into Alabama.2 Following the forced expulsion of the Muscogee Creek people in the 1830s, white settlement arrived quickly. The area became known as Stone’s District, dotted with small farms and anchored by early pioneers whose names still grace the surrounding geography, including the Willis, Childress, Herring, Dodson, Head, and Sewell families.3
A post office was established at Utoy where the Sandtown Road crossed Utoy Creek, and spiritual life was anchored by the Utoy Primitive Baptist Church and Mt. Gilead Methodist Church, both organized in 1824.4 The Mt. Gilead campground revivals, held near Ben Hill from 1835 until 1989, drew thousands of worshippers from across the region.5
The agrarian economy relied heavily on local infrastructure, specifically two grist mills that bordered the present-day neighborhood. To the immediate north, Edmond R. Herren, an early settler of German descent, operated Herring’s Mill in a valley along the north fork of Utoy Creek.6 To the south, Joseph Willis operated a mill on the south fork and resided in a log home built around 1840.7 A cotton gin also operated just west of the modern Cascade Nature Preserve, serving as a vital economic and social hub for the farming families.8
In the late summer of 1864, these quiet woodlands became a critical theater in Major General William T. Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign. Seeking to sever Confederate supply lines at East Point, Union forces clashed with Confederate troops under General John Bell Hood during the Battle of Utoy Creek, which raged from August 4 to August 7, 1864.9 Confederate forces utilized the heavy timber along the creek to construct defensive obstacles made of sharpened, interwoven branches known as abatis, and they dug extensive rifle pits.10
The Union army repeatedly failed to break through these fortified lines, resulting in a costly and embarrassing setback that forced Sherman to initiate a grueling five-week siege of the city.11 Sherman sustained approximately 850 casualties over the days of fighting, while Hood suffered only 35 killed, wounded, or missing.12 Because Confederate forces had destroyed the surrounding bridges, the dam at Herring’s Mill, located beneath the modern utility transmission lines adjacent to Flamingo Drive, became a vital crossing point for Union troops advancing toward Cascade Road. Historical accounts suggest General Sherman himself crossed this very dam to observe the terrain.13 Meanwhile, the Willis family, along with two neighboring families, survived the artillery barrages by huddling in a fifteen-by-six-foot subterranean bombproof shelter dug in their backyard.14 Their home was commandeered as the headquarters for Brigadier General Jacob D. Cox, and the Union army established a field hospital on the property where Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, the only woman to ever receive the Medal of Honor, served as a surgeon.15
The true scale of the Union disaster at Utoy Creek was intentionally obscured from the American public. Because 1864 was a presidential election year, President Abraham Lincoln faced a fierce challenge from George McClellan, who campaigned on a platform of ending the war with the Confederacy intact.16 Fearing the political fallout of the Utoy Creek failure, a United States government-sponsored cover-up was initiated. Orders were handed down to suppress any reports unfavorable to the Union cause.17 According to the research of military historians like Lt. Col. Perry Bennett, the true scale of the Union disaster was intentionally obscured by figures such as Major General John Schofield.18 Schofield, who had been in charge of Union forces during the battle, later rose to the positions of Secretary of War and Commanding General of the U.S. Army. In these powerful roles, Bennett argues, Schofield ensured that the unflattering details of his tactical failures at Utoy Creek were permanently misplaced.19 It was only decades later, through the dedicated research of historians, that the true scope of the battle was uncovered.20
The union of the two local pioneer families was cemented in 1887 when David Herren, a Confederate veteran of the 42nd Georgia Infantry who had lost a foot at the Battle of Bentonville, married Elizabeth Willis.21 They built a dairy farm near her father’s house.22 In 1932, Elizabeth provided a vivid oral history of the siege and the bombproof shelter to renowned Civil War artist Wilbur G. Kurtz.23 Today, the Willis home, covered in post-World War II white stucco, still stands at 1571 Willis Mill Road, making it one of only four homes in Atlanta that pre-date the Civil War.24
Chapter 2: The Healing Waters of Cascade Springs
Before residential developers recognized the potential of the Utoy Creek watershed, the area underwent a vibrant period of commercial recreation. In 1909, John H. Zaring Sr., a Kentucky native seeking a natural climate to ease his tuberculosis symptoms, purchased the nearby Cascade Springs property at a public auction for $5,100.25 The springs were named for three small waterfalls that spilled away from the road in the northeast corner of the tract.26 Initially operating a commercial horticulture business with six massive greenhouses, Zaring soon capitalized on the area’s natural mineral springs.27 In 1910, he constructed an indigenous stone springhouse and launched the Cascade Spring Water Company, bottling and delivering up to 500 gallons a day of pure spring water to Atlanta residents.28
The area quickly became a destination for outdoor enthusiasts. On October 16, 1910, a troop of Atlanta Boy Scouts made a grueling six-mile practice march from Fort McPherson directly to Cascade Springs to practice camp cooking.29 Commanded by Robert S. Cherry of the Seventeenth Infantry, the young scouts, including Kenneth Mahon, Ralph Barker, Edward Jones, and Herschal Baker, received their first lessons in outdoor survival on the historic grounds.30
Recognizing the commercial potential of this foot traffic, Zaring briefly sold 78 acres of the property in February 1912 to A.M. Gammage for $25,000, with grand announcements of a $100,000 investment to build a Los Angeles-style roadhouse, golf links, and a bathing resort.31 The commercialization of the water continued when the Dillin-Morris Company brokered a lease in July 1912, transferring the water rights to R.E. and Charles W. Lawshe, who aimed to aggressively market the lithia water.32
While those specific grand plans shifted, by 1917, Zaring himself had expanded his enterprise into a highly successful urban resort.33 The Cascade Springs Park and Camping Company featured the refurbished Cascade Inn, famous for its 75-cent fried chicken dinners, bungalow tents that rented for five to seven dollars a week, and a massive dance pavilion constructed directly over the stream.34 Accessible via a trolley line that terminated on Beecher Street, where an auto-bus would ferry guests to the grounds, the resort successfully branded the corridor as a pristine retreat.35
Throughout the 1910s and 1920s, the springs hosted a vibrant, continuous social swirl. In June 1919, the Catholic Young Men’s Lyceum hosted a straw ride and dance at the pavilion, chaperoned by Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Deihl and Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Cunningham.36 The following summer, in June 1920, the Castilian Club organized a massive straw ride featuring a Negro string band, a picnic supper, and a watermelon cutting, chaperoned by local figures like Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Harralson and Mr. and Mrs. Pope Franklin.37 The summer of 1921 saw moonlight picnics hosted by Mrs. W.H. Bill and Mrs. Eugene Phillips,38 as well as lively straw rides organized by T.M. Brisendine Jr., Shorty Hathcock, and L. Roy Philips.39 Civic and religious groups also flocked to the site, such as the Men’s Association of the West End Presbyterian Church, which held its annual barbecue at the springs in July 1922 under the direction of Fred M. Dorn.40
Local sports also thrived. In April 1922, the Welch All-Stars defeated the local Cascade Springs baseball nine in a thrilling 4-to-3 game highlighted by a home run from a player named Langford.41 Corporate outings were common, such as the October 1923 gathering of over 200 employees of the F.J. Cooledge and Sons Company, who descended on the springs for an annual barbecue featuring the Cast Iron quartet of the Elks Troubadours.42
However, the resort era was not without its dark moments. In March 1918, county policemen discovered an illicit still operating in a farmhouse near the springs, arresting P.E. Slaton and confiscating thirty gallons of liquor.43 The local press had to issue a correction the next day to clarify that the still was not located inside Zaring’s respectable hotel.44 Tragedy struck in December 1919 when an automobile driven by Julius McIntyre plunged off a bridge into the freezing waters of Cascade Springs road, drowning Mrs. Ray Wilson, J.D. Clements, and Mrs. Irene Lawrence.45 The following summer, in August 1920, H.J. Smith, the proprietor of a jitney bus line that ferried passengers between the West End car line and Cascade Springs, was shot in his vehicle by his separated wife, Nettie Inez Smith, in a sudden attack of jealousy just as he reached the resort.46
The transition from a rural resort to a modern suburb was fraught with tension. As residential developers began eyeing the corridor in the late 1930s, intense zoning battles erupted. In October 1938, John H. Zaring Jr. filed a petition in Fulton County Superior Court to fight a zoning ordinance that sought to restrict Cascade Road strictly to residential development.47 The original residential petition had been filed by none other than George L. Wilson, the very developer who was preparing to fundamentally alter the landscape.48 Zaring Jr., fighting to protect his family’s 50-acre commercial greenhouse operation and its 2,000 feet of road frontage, argued the residential zoning would destroy his business expansion.49 This legal clash perfectly illustrated the friction between the old commercial resort operators and the new suburban visionaries.
Chapter 3: Engineering the Suburban Utopia
The formal platting of Audubon Forest began in 1945 under the direction of George L. Wilson. Having already shaped adjacent tracts like Cascade Heights and Beecher Hills, Wilson envisioned Audubon Forest not as a tract-housing development, but as an exclusive, 520-acre enclave for the city’s affluent white leadership.50 Naming the subdivision after the renowned ornithologist and painter John James Audubon, Wilson meticulously themed the infrastructure to reflect the natural environment.51
The marketing and execution of the subdivision were highly calculated and heavily documented in the local press. On October 24, 1948, The Atlanta Constitution heralded the development with the headline “Wilson Now Has New Subdivision, Audubon Forrest,” praising the pretty, home-inviting tract featuring massive lots with 150-foot frontages and depths reaching 350 to 500 feet.52
By the spring of 1949, construction was advancing at a breakneck pace. A May 1, 1949, feature in The Atlanta Constitution explicitly marketed Audubon Forest as being off to a flying start.53 The sprawling advertisement boasted that Audubon Forest was the latest to be developed among four beautiful subdivisions in Southwest Atlanta that had shown amazing growth.54 The promotional spread featured photographs of newly occupied homes, including the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Dewey Morgan at 1166 Flamingo Drive, and the recent sale to Mr. and Mrs. Dave Brock at 2460 Sewell Road.55 The properties were aggressively marketed by salesmen O.R. Moyer and Dan W. Sale.56 Early pioneers of the streetscape also included Charles M. Seward, who purchased a home at the corner of Sewell Road and Flamingo Drive, and J.D. Hagy, whose Sewell Road home was built by local contractor William F. Horton.57
The meticulous marketing was captured again on May 15, 1949, when the newspaper showcased the cool, shady surroundings of a newly completed six-room brick residence at 2490 Sewell Road, purchased by Wilbur G. Gold.58 The transaction highlighted the massive 93-by-400-foot lots that defined the enclave.59 Even the developers anchored themselves in the dirt they were moving. Hoke E. Morgan, a prominent builder in the area, constructed his own personal showplace residence at 1151 Flamingo Drive.60
The architecture of the neighborhood was not limited to traditional brick ranches. The rolling topography allowed for unique mid-century modern designs. One notable property in Audubon Forest was designed by the legendary architect John Portman.61 This tan and grey home featured a flat roof hidden under a gabled roof, a monumental stone fireplace, and an entire back wall made of glass.62 Other unique structures included a concrete block pool house featuring orange breeze blocks located on Veltre Circle.63
To support this booming population, massive municipal infrastructure was deployed. An August 28, 1949, report detailed that 9,770 feet of water mains were being laid on Sewell Road, with another 2,500 feet placed on Flamingo Drive, where four new homes priced between $25,000 and $30,000 were rising.64 The commercial needs of the residents were met by the grand opening of a new Colonial Stores grocery at 2329 Cascade Road in March 1949, alongside the construction of Fulton County Fire Station No. 25.65 In 1952, under the municipal Plan of Improvement, the previously unincorporated area was officially annexed into the City of Atlanta.66
Chapter 4: The Architecture of Exclusion and Institutional Anchors
The architectural standards of Audubon Forest were rigorous, but the defining characteristic of Wilson’s development was its strict legal framework of segregation. To guarantee the neighborhood’s racial homogeneity, Wilson—who had previously served as the president of a local citizen militia known as the “West Fulton Vigilantes” in 1933—attached ten 99-year restrictive covenants to the property deeds.67 These mandates dictated everything from minimum square footage, requiring 1,400 square feet for the first floor, to the requirement for automatic smokeless heating systems.68 Most insidiously, Covenant 4 explicitly dictated that the property “shall not be sold, rented, occupied or used by any person except those of Anglo-American race.”69
This framework of exclusion attracted significant institutional investment. Fulton County tax records from the era reveal that multiple vacant lots were acquired by corporate and educational entities, including the Georgia Baptist Children’s Home and Young L.G. Harris College.70 W.O. DuVall, a prominent attorney, Young Harris College trustee, and Chairman of the Joint Atlanta-Fulton County Bond Commission, served as a business partner in the development, facilitating the acquisition of numerous parcels.71 The final street developed in the neighborhood, Chickadee Court, was entirely owned by Atlanta Federal Savings and Loan before being transferred in the 1970s.72
To anchor this burgeoning white enclave, spiritual infrastructure was rapidly organized. On June 5, 1949, approximately fifty men and women met in the Terrace Room of the Carnegie Library in Adams Park to discuss the needs of a new Methodist Church.73 Dr. Lester Rumble, District Superintendent of the Atlanta West District, presided over the meeting and announced that George Wilson and W.O. DuVall had donated a massive lot at the intersection of Willis Mill and Sewell Roads.74
Mark E. Johnson was elected Temporary Secretary, and commitment cards were immediately signed by charter members including W.M. Alexander Sr., A.J. Bellah, C.C. Berry, C.E. Bright, J.W. Furlow, R.L. Gardner Jr., Lee Griffin, Price Howard, W.F. Hutt, W.R. Mitchell Jr., H.L. Murphy, J.C. Norvell, W.L. Richard, W.D. Thompson, Howard West, and J.C. Wingo.75 A steering committee was formed under the chairmanship of C.E. Purcell.76
On June 26, 1949, the congregation officially adopted the name Audubon Forest Methodist Church.77 The church appointed Rev. Lewis Bevel Jones III as their pastor.78 The social pages of the era captured the neighborhood’s pristine, insulated reality. On August 14, 1949, the press reported that Rev. Jones married Miss Mildred Hawkins at the First Methodist Church of Decatur before returning to reside in Cascade Heights and lead the new Audubon Forest flock.79 Jones would forge lifelong bonds with the neighborhood’s elite, eventually rising to the rank of Bishop in the United Methodist Church.80 By September 1949, the church purchased the Purcell home at 2099 Cascade Road for $13,750 to serve as a parsonage.81 On March 26, 1950, ground was broken for the first unit of the church, a $42,000 facility designed by architects Wilhoit and Smith and built by contractor Donald McIvier.82 Through these mechanisms of real estate covenants, institutional capital, and targeted civic building, Audubon Forest was engineered to be an impenetrable fortress of white suburban wealth.
Chapter 5: The Siege of Southwest Atlanta
The legal and social barriers surrounding Audubon Forest began to erode in the 1960s, driven by broader civil rights victories and specific local institutional shifts. While the 1948 Supreme Court decision in Shelley v. Kraemer had rendered racial covenants legally unenforceable, de facto segregation was maintained for years by discriminatory real estate practices and fierce resistance from white civic organizations.83 As late as June 1958, John H. Zaring Jr. was still fighting the Cascade Heights civic establishment, attempting to downgrade a 350-foot strip of Cascade Road for commercial use, only to be defeated by a petition bearing 430 signatures from angry white residents led by attorney Calhoun Long.84
The true catalyst for the integration of Audubon Forest was the establishment of a groundbreaking medical institution just beyond its borders. In 1943, the Society of Catholic Medical Missionaries had founded the Catholic Colored Clinic in the Third Ward to treat African Americans denied care at Grady Hospital.85 In 1962, the Mission Sisters expanded their vision. Sister Theophane utilized mission funds, raised largely from white donors, to build Holy Family Hospital on the 500 block of Fairburn Road.86 When it opened in 1964, the 125-bed facility made history as the first hospital in the Southeast to allow Black and white physicians to practice together.87
The impending opening of Holy Family Hospital brought a wave of elite African American medical professionals to the Cascade corridor. Seeking residences in close proximity to the hospital, these physicians and their families began purchasing homes in the surrounding subdivisions.88 This integration was met with intense, highly publicized resistance. In 1962, after Dr. Clinton E. Warner, an African American veteran and founding member of the Morehouse School of Medicine, purchased a home at 483 Fielding Lane in the adjacent Peyton Forest subdivision, white panic swept the area.89
The archival correspondence sent to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr. during the summer and fall of 1962 reveals the raw, visceral reaction of the white establishment. The geography of the resistance reveals a clear division of labor between the two neighborhoods. While the residents of Peyton Forest panicked over the immediate transition of their streets, the residents of Audubon Forest provided the financial, legal, and corporate muscle to fight the integration.
A confidential memorandum sent to Mayor Allen on November 1, 1962, by W.F. Floyd Jr. detailed a secret meeting held by white property owners.90 The memo revealed that a resident of Oriole Drive, located squarely inside Audubon Forest, had reported that George L. Wilson himself offered to pay $30,000 to buy Jim Bennett’s remaining lots at a profit just to “keep them out of the hands of colored real estate operators.”91
The Audubon Forest residents wielded immense corporate power. Silas K. Cannon, residing at 967 Oriole Drive, was the Plant Manager of the Ford Motor Company’s Atlanta Assembly Plant in Hapeville.92 Cannon was a self-made executive who had worked his way up from the assembly line in the 1920s to become a highly respected civic leader, a prominent philanthropist, and a close friend of Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy.93 Yet, this same civic-minded executive fiercely defended segregation. When Cannon wrote to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr. on January 18, 1963, praising the Mayor’s “courageous stand” on the barricades and stating that “minority groups have no right to disrupt and destroy the existence of the community,” he was writing with the implicit weight of one of the largest industrial corporations in the American South.94 His ties to the neighborhood’s establishment ran deep; decades later, his funeral would be officiated by his close friend, retired Bishop Bevel Jones, the very same pastor who had founded the Audubon Forest Methodist Church.95
Further down the street, Walter M. McGriff at 980 Oriole Drive received direct legal notices from the powerful downtown law firm Hansell, Post, Brandon and Dorsey regarding the foreclosure of F.E. Bennett’s property, proving that Audubon Forest residents were coordinating directly with high-powered attorneys to financially squeeze the “blockbusting” developers.96
The rhetoric used by the white residents was staggering. Lt. Col. Henry A. Fillmer of 456 Haldane Road bluntly wrote to the Mayor expressing his desire to “keep this area white.”97 The most horrific correspondence came from Jule W. Felton Jr., an attorney at the prominent law firm Hansell, Post, Brandon and Dorsey, who wrote on January 7, 1963, to thank the Mayor for blocking the streets.98 Felton claimed that “the breed itself has cast a burden upon our taxes, and integration will certainly cause our own white race to fall.”99
The Mayor’s office was not operating in the dark. The archives reveal that W.F. “Bill” Floyd Jr., a resident of the neighborhood and a staunch political ally of the Mayor, was acting as an informant.100 Floyd leaked the details of the secret Saturday night meetings directly to the Mayor’s office.101 In a November 14, 1962, memo, the Mayor’s secretary noted that Floyd reported the neighborhood coalition had pooled $45,000 to buy out the developers, and that Floyd intimated that he is one of the citizens putting up this money.102 Floyd was apparently contributing to the neighborhood’s buyout fund, giving him a seat at the table with the segregationist network, while simultaneously picking up the phone to feed their exact financial maneuvers directly to the Mayor’s office.103
Capitulating to this immense pressure, Mayor Ivan Allen Jr. signed a law on December 17, 1962, erecting the infamous Peyton Road Wall, a physical barricade of wood and steel across Peyton and Harlan Roads designed to stop Black families from driving into the white subdivisions.104 When the barricades became a national public relations nightmare, the white citizens devised a backup plan. If the wooden barricades had to come down, they proposed physically rerouting Peyton, Tee, and Harlan Roads to form a closed horseshoe from Gordon Road to Willis Mill Road. City Attorney Jack Savage advised that once the city legally abandoned the road, the property reverted to the white homeowners, who could literally plow it up and plant it in cotton to make it impassable.105 The legal system ultimately intervened before the roads could be planted in cotton. On March 1, 1963, a Fulton County Superior Court judge ruled the barrier unconstitutional, and it was dismantled after just 72 days.106 (Note: For a comprehensive history of the physical barricades, the Black boycotts, and the specific lawsuit that dismantled the wall, see the dedicated history of Peyton Forest).
As the wall fell, white flight accelerated dramatically. By the late 1960s, the restrictive covenants authored by George L. Wilson were entirely obsolete. African American families bypassed the fallen barricades and began claiming the expansive lots and custom homes of the bird streets, fundamentally altering the demographic reality of Audubon Forest.107
The hospital that sparked this transition would later become the site of another historic civil rights clash. In 1972, the facility, then known as Holy Family Hospital, was the site of a labor strike.108 During a hunger strike in support of the hospital employees, community activists Arthur Langford and Willie Ricks were shot and wounded by the hospital administrator.109 Rev. Joe Boone and other activists had gathered in a tent in front of the property to discuss strategy when the violence erupted.110 This racially charged incident became a major pivotal point in fully integrating the health care system in Atlanta and the South.111
Chapter 6: A Renaissance of Leadership
As the demographic transition solidified throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Audubon Forest evolved into a premier residential destination for Atlanta’s Black intelligentsia, political leadership, and cultural icons.112 The neighborhood ceased to be a monument to exclusion and instead became a concentrated hub of civic power.
The residents who populated Audubon Forest during this era represented a staggering array of professional achievement. The medical vanguard was represented by figures such as Dr. James Densler, a pioneering physician recognized as the first African American pediatric surgeon in the United States and a distinguished professor at the Morehouse School of Medicine, who resided in the neighborhood with his wife, Mable.113
The legal and political spheres were equally well represented. The neighborhood was home to the late Judge Thelma Wyatt Cummings Moore, a trailblazing jurist who shattered glass ceilings as the first woman to serve as Chief Judge of the Superior Court of Fulton County and the first African American woman to serve as a chief administrative judge on any judicial circuit in Georgia.114
The neighborhood was also anchored by Jim Maddox, the longest-serving member of the Atlanta City Council.115 Affectionately known as the “Dean of the City Council,” Maddox represented District 11 for 32 years across eight terms, serving under four different mayors starting with Maynard Jackson in 1977.116 A proud Washington High Bulldog, Maddox authored impactful legislation, crafting the city’s E-911 system, producing the Atlanta Sister Cities Commission, and creating a Tax Allocation District along the Campbellton corridor.117 He resided in the neighborhood with his wife Alice.118 Other prominent figures included Walter Huntley, former Chief of Staff to Mayor Maynard Jackson and Executive Director of the Atlanta Economic Development Corporation, and Davey Gibson, a Regional Director for the Department of Housing and Urban Development.119
Audubon Forest also served as a sanctuary for educational and spiritual leaders, including Hugh Gloster, the esteemed former President of Morehouse College, Dwynell Williams, a noted educator and founder of Premier Catering, and Reverend William Holmes Borders, the iconic pastor of Wheat Street Baptist Church and a towering figure in the local civil rights movement.120 The neighborhood even attracted national sports royalty, serving as home to NBA Champion and two-time All-Star Walt Frazier.121 The broader Cascade area also became home to national icons like Hank Aaron, Andrew Young, John Lewis, and Shirley Franklin.122 Rather than merely occupying the homes, these residents utilized their collective influence to shape the trajectory of the broader city.
Chapter 7: Preserving the Sylvan Borders
The civic mobilization of Audubon Forest residents was most visibly demonstrated in their fierce defense of the neighborhood’s natural environment. The transition from commercial resort to protected greenspace was a multi-decade battle. In May 1961, John H. Zaring Jr. sold a 40-acre tract of the old Cascade Springs property for $100,000 to Carolina Developers, headed by Delmar E. Norman, who planned to build the Spring Lake Swim and Tennis Club.123
However, the city eventually recognized the need for preservation. In 1975, the City of Atlanta purchased 26 acres near the springs, and the following year, they bought an additional 130 acres for $740,830 to prevent the land from being zoned for multi-family housing.124 By January 1979, the federal government stepped in, with Interior Secretary Cecil Andrus committing $440,000 to match city funds raised by parks commissioner Ted Mastroianni to officially establish the Cascade Springs Nature and Wildlife Park.125
However, the dense, mature forest that defined the Utoy Creek watershed faced another severe existential threat in the 1980s. Lionel Hampton, the legendary jazz vibraphonist who had previously developed large-scale housing projects in New York and New Jersey, acquired approximately 120 acres of woodland along Willis Mill Road and Flamingo Drive.126 Hampton announced plans to clear-cut the property to construct a high-density, 355-unit residential subdivision.127
The residents of Audubon Forest recognized that such a development would destroy the ecological and historical integrity of their community. Under the leadership of Gloria Borders, a resident and former President of the Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association, the community organized a sophisticated opposition campaign.128 The neighborhood association, alongside local leaders like Thena Norman, successfully stalled the zoning and development processes while simultaneously lobbying the newly formed PATH Foundation to seek an alternative use for the land.129 The community’s dedication to the greenspace was further highlighted in May 1988, when Georgia Tech architectural students, including first-prize winner Eric Brock, drafted scale models for a proposed $1.5 million nature center at Cascade Springs.130
Hampton’s housing project was further complicated by the area’s challenging topography, specifically a massive, impenetrable vein of subterranean granite that made excavation financially ruinous.131 Yielding to the organized community pressure and the logistical hurdles, Hampton eventually abandoned the housing initiative and granted a right-of-way across the property.132 This concession allowed for the 1993 opening of the Lionel Hampton Trail, one of Atlanta’s first dedicated paved greenways, which winds directly through the Audubon Forest footprint.133 The land was ultimately purchased by the City of Atlanta in 2002 for $2.65 million, permanently preserving over 200 acres as the Lionel Hampton-Beecher Hills Nature Preserve.134 Through their rigorous advocacy, the residents of Audubon Forest ensured that the neighborhood’s defining woodlands would be protected in perpetuity.
Conclusion: An Enduring Legacy
Today, Audubon Forest remains a vital, highly sought-after residential enclave. The architectural integrity of the mid-century estates has been meticulously maintained, while the community continues to benefit from targeted municipal investments. Recent infrastructure projects, such as the resurfacing of Flamingo Drive spearheaded by Councilmember Andrea L. Boone and Commissioner Solomon Caviness, signal an ongoing commitment to the neighborhood’s preservation and modernization.135
The institutions that surround the neighborhood have evolved alongside it. The Audubon Forest Methodist Church transitioned into the Hoosier Memorial United Methodist Church.136 The former Holy Family Hospital site, which operated as Southwest Hospital until 2009, is now home to the Atlanta Center for Medical Research.137 On November 22, 2017, Mayor Kasim Reed, Councilmember C.T. Martin, and Commissioner Amy Phuong cut the ribbon to open Doctors Memorial Park at 500 Fairburn Road SW, permanently honoring the physicians who integrated the facility and served the community.138 In August 2023, following the passing of Jim Maddox at age 88, the City Council unanimously passed an ordinance to honor the legendary Audubon Forest resident by name at the gateway to the Cascade Springs Nature Preserve.139
The history of Audubon Forest is a testament to the dynamic nature of the American urban landscape. It is a space that has absorbed the artillery fire of a divided nation, hosted the leisure classes of the early twentieth century, and served as a laboratory for mid-century residential segregation. Ultimately, however, the legacy of Audubon Forest is defined by its reclamation. By dismantling the legal architecture of exclusion and fiercely protecting its natural borders, the residents of Audubon Forest transformed a restricted subdivision into an enduring monument to African American achievement and community resilience.
- Atlanta Magazine, “Where to live now in Atlanta 2018: Cascade,” February 2018.
- Digital Library of Georgia, “Sandtown Trail historical marker,” Georgia Historical Markers collection.
- Mo Mathis, Facebook Public Post regarding the history of Cascade Heights, April 25, 2021.
- Georgia Historical Society, “Historic Utoy Church” historical marker.
- SaportaReport, “In Southwest Atlanta, they’re praying for the preservation of a historic religious camp ground,” October 30, 2023.
- Stacey Boyd, “The Strategic Legacy of Herren’s Mill,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley and Stacey Boyd, “Willis Mill Road,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Mo Mathis, Facebook Public Post regarding the history of Cascade Heights, April 25, 2021.
- Lt. Col. L. Perry Bennett, “Battle of Utoy Creek Historical Marker Dedication,” Army Reserve, August 17, 2016.
- Lt. Col. L. Perry Bennett, “Battle of Utoy Creek Historical Marker Dedication,” Army Reserve, August 17, 2016.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “Utoy Creek: The Atlanta Civil War battle of which you’ve never heard,” May 17, 2011.
- SaportaReport, “Resurrecting history, family legacy at Utoy Cemetery,” May 26, 2014.
- Stacey Boyd, “The Strategic Legacy of Herren’s Mill,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Stacey Boyd, “The Strategic Legacy of Herren’s Mill,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley and Stacey Boyd, “Willis Mill Road,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley and Stacey Boyd, “Willis Mill Road,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Lt. Col. L. Perry Bennett, “Battle of Utoy Creek Historical Marker Dedication,” Army Reserve, August 17, 2016.
- Lt. Col. L. Perry Bennett, “Battle of Utoy Creek Historical Marker Dedication,” Army Reserve, August 17, 2016.
- Lt. Col. L. Perry Bennett, “Battle of Utoy Creek Historical Marker Dedication,” Army Reserve, August 17, 2016.
- SaportaReport, “Resurrecting history, family legacy at Utoy Cemetery,” May 26, 2014.
- Lt. Col. L. Perry Bennett, “Battle of Utoy Creek Historical Marker Dedication,” Army Reserve, August 17, 2016.
- Lt. Col. L. Perry Bennett, “Battle of Utoy Creek Historical Marker Dedication,” Army Reserve, August 17, 2016.
- Stacey Boyd, “The Strategic Legacy of Herren’s Mill,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Stacey Boyd, “The Strategic Legacy of Herren’s Mill,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley and Stacey Boyd, “Willis Mill Road,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Mo Mathis, Facebook Public Post regarding the history of Cascade Heights, April 25, 2021.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Cascade Springs Sold For $25,000,” February 4, 1912.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Atlanta’s Strides Day By Day,” July 7, 1912.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Cascade Springs: An Atlanta Urban Spa,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Straw Ride,” June 15, 1919.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Straw Ride and Dance,” June 27, 1920.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Moonlight Picnic,” June 19, 1921.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Welch All-Stars Trim Cascade Ball Outfit,” April 9, 1922.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Coolidge Employees Will Have Barbecue At Cascade Springs,” October 4, 1923.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Illicit Still Discovered,” March 21, 1918.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Whisky Not Found in ‘Eating House’,” March 22, 1918.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Darkness Stops Search for Body of Third Victim,” December 11, 1919.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Taxi Driver Shot; Jealousy Believed Cause by Officers,” August 7, 1920.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Petition Contests Zoning Authority,” October 4, 1938.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Petition Contests Zoning Authority,” October 4, 1938.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Petition Contests Zoning Authority,” October 4, 1938.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Wilson Now Has New Subdivision, Audubon Forrest,” October 24, 1948.
- The Atlanta Constitution, Display Ad 214, May 1, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, Display Ad 214, May 1, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, Display Ad 214, May 1, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, Display Ad 214, May 1, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, Display Ad 214, May 1, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Cool, Shady Surroundings,” May 15, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Cool, Shady Surroundings,” May 15, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Four Beautiful Subdivisions Ideal for Modern Homes Along Cascade Road,” May 1, 1949.
- William L. Bedgood, Facebook Public Post regarding Audubon Forest midcentury architecture, November 9, 2023.
- William L. Bedgood, Facebook Public Post regarding Audubon Forest midcentury architecture, November 9, 2023.
- William L. Bedgood, Facebook Public Post regarding Audubon Forest midcentury architecture, November 9, 2023.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “New Improvements For Audubon Forest,” August 28, 1949.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Fast-Growing Community Is Section On Cascade Road,” March 27, 1949.
- Cobb County Courier, “The 1952 Atlanta annexations,” May 20, 2016.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Miss Hawkins, Rev. Jones Wed in Sentimental Setting,” August 14, 1949.
- Kay Powell, “Silas K. Cannon II, ran Ford plant here,” The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2005.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- History of Audubon Forest Methodist Church Document, detailing the June 5, 1949 founding, charter members, and early construction.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Bid To Downgrade Tract Vetoed by Zoning Panel,” June 6, 1958.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- F.E. Bennett, Letter to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., August 1, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- W.F. Floyd Jr., Memorandum to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., November 1, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- W.F. Floyd Jr., Memorandum to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., November 1, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Kay Powell, “Silas K. Cannon II, ran Ford plant here,” The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2005.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “Dorothy Cannon Obituary,” November 2, 2011.
- S.K. Cannon, Letter to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., January 18, 1963, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Kay Powell, “Silas K. Cannon II, ran Ford plant here,” The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2005.
- R.L. Marchman (Hansell, Post, Brandon & Dorsey), Letter to Walter M. McGriff and Virgil Copeland, January 18, 1963, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Lt. Col. Henry A. Fillmer, Letter to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., undated (circa August 1962), Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Jule W. Felton Jr. (Hansell, Post, Brandon & Dorsey), Letter to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., January 7, 1963, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Jule W. Felton Jr. (Hansell, Post, Brandon & Dorsey), Letter to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., January 7, 1963, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- W.F. Floyd Jr., Memorandum to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., November 1, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Ann (Secretary to Mayor Allen), Memorandum to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., November 14, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Ann (Secretary to Mayor Allen), Memorandum to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., November 14, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Ann (Secretary to Mayor Allen), Memorandum to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., November 14, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- “Proposed Community Stabilization Plan,” Submitted to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr. by Citizens of Peyton-Utoy Forest Community, September 11, 1962, Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- Ann (Secretary to Mayor Allen), Memorandum to Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., undated (circa early 1963), Ivan Allen Jr. Mayoral Records.
- TIME Magazine, “The South: Divided City,” January 18, 1963.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Atlanta Magazine, “Where to live now in Atlanta 2018: Cascade,” February 2018.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- Rough Draft Atlanta, “Jim Maddox, longest serving member of Atlanta City Council, dies at 88,” August 16, 2023.
- Rough Draft Atlanta, “Jim Maddox, longest serving member of Atlanta City Council, dies at 88,” August 16, 2023.
- Amos for Atlanta, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding the passing of Jim Maddox, August 16, 2023.
- Rough Draft Atlanta, “Jim Maddox, longest serving member of Atlanta City Council, dies at 88,” August 16, 2023.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “40 Acres Sold On Cascade Road,” May 28, 1961.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Major effort underway to turn Cascade Springs into nature preserve,” circa 1980s.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Feds Ante Up $440,000 For Cascade Park,” January 9, 1979.
- Joanne Huntley, “The Lionel Hampton Trail,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “The Lionel Hampton Trail,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- Joanne Huntley, “The Lionel Hampton Trail,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- The Atlanta Constitution, “Tech students design buildings for proposed nature preserve center,” May 1988.
- Joanne Huntley, “The Lionel Hampton Trail,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “The Lionel Hampton Trail,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “The Lionel Hampton Trail,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “The Lionel Hampton Trail,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Councilmember Andrea L. Boone, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding Flamingo Drive resurfacing and neighborhood history.
- Joanne Huntley, “Audubon Forest, the Welcoming Neighborhood We Know Today, Began as a Racially Restricted Community,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- Joanne Huntley, “Holy Family Hospital,” Audubon Forest Neighborhood Association History Committee Archives.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “The Doctors Memorial Park opens in southwest Atlanta,” November 27, 2017.
- Amos for Atlanta, Public Statement via Official Facebook Page regarding the passing of Jim Maddox, August 16, 2023.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.